Saturday 11 April 2009

Sample Data

So, I've decided to install the sample data to see what kind of speed improvements can be made to a more "live" system. Ahh.. the Magento sample data.

C'mon Varien. It's been a year, can we seriously not have sample data that's not in a format which requires a complete re-install?!

If you have configured your system with table prefixes, you cannot install the sample data. Since it's just a database dump of their system it will reset your permissions store names, etc. etc. It's not really sample products... it's really a starter system.

So, if you've configured with DB table prefixes:
edit app/etc/local.xml and delete the prefix you used
mysql drop database `your_db`
mysql create dtabase `your_db`
mysql < magento-sample-data.sql
rm -Rf var/cache/* (since it cached the table prefix)
hit any URL

Not having a packet of sample data makes me worried that I won't be able to work with my product data once I spend a lot of time getting it in. Is a SQL dump the best way to make a backup of your product data? Is it the only way that doesn't lose features? I'm unsure at this point, but I can never get over how people call Magento "enterprise" and "full featured", but yet you can't get some sample products without wiping any installation you've already done.

No comments: