Wednesday 8 April 2009

The forking of Magento

In the past year, Magento has gotten faster and faster with each release. But, I still feel there are fundamental problems with the code which stops it from running as fast as a PHP shopping cart can run. Varien's closed development model has led me to believe that forking Magento is the only way to really change Magento for the better. I have tried patching Magento, but there is not a formalized process for discussion the code, nor submitting patches.

I have started with a base of Magento 1.3.0, I have done some quick file name changes before importing into git. Last night I started some simple speed improvements and got to around 4-5% increase before deciding that I should stop and blog about every change.


==Update==
Links are
Code: http://github.com/markkimsal/agent-ohm/tree/master
News, Issues, Discussion: http://code.google.com/p/agent-ohm/

5 comments:

Michael Kimsal said...

Where are the changes? Publicly available yet?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

I am very surprised by your post. I have personally invited you numerous times, even face to face, to contribute to Magento but you never showed any interest in joining or contributing any code. So let me make the invitation open again for you to contact me and joining the effort of making Magento better.

Thank you,

Yoav Kutner

Mark Kimsal said...

Yoav,
Thanks for extending the invitation again. I don't receiving remember any official invitation to submit code. On top of that, there doesn't seem to be any sort of developer community on the magentocommerce.com site. I have no way to submit patches, there is no public SVN link that can be useful to developers over a 1.X release cycle, and the bug reports (submitted by me) seem to go unnoticed for months.

I remember when we talked, you didn't seem too interested in the types of changes that I wanted to do. These are not simple patches or bug fixes; I'm planning on radically changing the way everything works. So, even if there was a developer portal were I could submit patches, the question remains of whether they would even be accepted.

As a Magento module developer, it's very difficult for me to keep up with all the changes for each version. The changes are not publicized *before* the release in any sort of "roadmap", so I am frequently surprised at functions that are taken out. I then have to update my module to work with the latest version and hope that I don't break backwards compatibility.

So, my ultimate question is, *how* would I go about submitting simple improvements to Magento? And furthermore, *how* would I got about getting far reaching, conceptual changes accepted back into the project?

Unknown said...

Mark

I think it speaks volumes that you didn't get a reply from Yoav.

I have been following magento scince 2007 and have found the silence from magento staff to be pretty counter productive. Forums are pretty behest of replies from core team these days and like you i have seen bug reports ignored even when the code fix is in the comments.

I don't know whether its arrogance or a lack of man power. (The latter could have been fixed in the community with a more open approach, unfortunatly if its arrogance then there is not much that can be done.

I know this fork was more of a mind experiment for you than anything serious, but if its somthing you are considering more seriously, I would like to perhaps get a chat with you to see if we can help out.

Mark Kimsal said...

@warzan

Get on github, get on google code, it will flow from there. (also, your profile is private)